Psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune condition characterized by red, itchy, and flaky skin. It commonly affects the scalp, elbows, knees and back. Although there’s no known cause for psoriasis, it appears to run in families. It can also be triggered by external factors such as stress or exposure to sunlight. If left untreated, psoriasis can cause joint pain and limit movement. Fortunately, cannabis is an effective treatment for psoriasis that helps patients manage their symptoms. Here’s how cannabis and psoriasis are linked and what you can do about it.
Cannabis and Psoriasis: A Brief History
The human body is naturally equipped with a normal inflammatory response. This means our immune system will attack and destroy any harmful substances found in our body. But sometimes this inflammatory response can go out of control and result in diseases like psoriasis. While there’s no cure for psoriasis, finding natural treatments helps manage symptoms and reduce the risk of complications. Cannabis has long been used to treat psoriasis because it has certain properties that help reduce inflammation. A 2017 study in the Journal of Dermatology found that cannabis can help improve psoriasis symptoms like itching, scaling, redness, and pain. It also improved skin health by increasing blood flow and reducing inflammation.
How Does Cannabis Treat Psoriasis?
When it comes to psoriasis, cannabis isn’t the only way to treat the disease. Cannabis works by reducing inflammation and blocking certain types of receptors found in inflammatory cells. This limits the signaling that triggers excessive inflammation and psoriasis symptoms. In addition, a 2018 study in the Israel Medical Association Journal found that people with psoriasis who used medical marijuana had reduced skin inflammation and fewer symptoms. Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease, which means the body attacks the skin instead of healthy tissue. Blocking inflammation in the skin helps treat psoriasis. One of the primary ways cannabis reduces inflammation is by blocking certain receptors found in inflammatory cells. Certain cannabinoids, such as cannabidiol and tetrahydrocannabinol, can block these receptors.
Health Benefits of Cannabis for Psoriasis
Psoriasis is a chronic inflammatory condition that can lead to physical pain and social isolation. Patients who experience psoriasis can benefit from the health benefits of cannabis. They include:
- Boosting the Digestive System – Those with psoriasis may experience nausea and vomiting as a result of their condition. Studies have found that ingesting cannabinoids can reduce nausea and vomiting. This can be a huge health benefit for those with psoriasis.
- Improve Sleep – Psoriasis can cause patients to have trouble sleeping because of their itchy, irritated skin. Studies show that ingesting CBD or THC is an effective way to help patients fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer.
- Maintaining Mood Balance – Those with psoriasis may experience mood swings as a result of their condition. Research shows that patients who use cannabis tend to experience fewer mood swings.
- Stronger Immunity – Psoriasis affects the immune system, making it easier for infections to attack the body. Studies show that cannabinoids help strengthen the immune system, assisting in the fight against psoriasis and other infections.
- Reduced Pain – Psoriasis can cause intense pain as a result of the condition. Cannabinoids can help reduce pain by reducing inflammation.
Side Effects of Using Cannabis for Psoriasis
CBD oil, in particular, may cause nausea, dizziness, and diarrhea. High-THC strains, on the other hand, can increase blood pressure, heart rate, and create anxiety. Patients with a history of drug abuse or mental illness may experience psychosis or hallucinations. It’s important to note that side effects will vary from person to person, depending on the strain and how you consume it. You can also reduce side effects by taking small doses, combining it with other medications, and avoiding high-THC strains. Before using cannabis for psoriasis, it’s a good idea to consult a doctor to make sure it’s safe for you.
Cannabis has been used as a natural medicine for thousands of years. Recent research shows that it may be an effective treatment option for psoriasis. If you have the condition, you may be able to benefit from cannabis. However, it should be used alongside conventional medicine. It’s also important to remember that cannabis is not a cure for psoriasis. Instead, it should be used alongside other treatments such as topical or oral medications. If you’re interested in trying cannabis for psoriasis, speak with your doctor first. Visit BCMedichronic.co online dispensary for all your cannabis needs.